Be Prepared for Summer Storms
Staying safe starts with a plan
Prepare a summer storm kit
Make sure to include the following items:
- Flashlight and extra batteries.
- Battery-powered NOAA Weather Radio and portable radio to receive emergency information.
- Drinking water and food requiring no cooking or refrigeration.
- Extra medicine, baby items, and pet supplies.
- First-aid supplies.
During a storm:
- Take shelter in a sturdy building if you're outdoors.
- Stay away from doors and windows.
- Use only wireless phones.
- Don't use the shower or bathtub.
- Unplug sensitive electronic appliances such as computers, TVs, VCR and DVD players, etc.
- Make sure backup generators are properly wired to prevent backfeed, which will harm electrical workers restoring power and damage your equipment once electric service is restored.
- Stay away and call 911 if you see a fallen or low-hanging power line.