Our Environmental Commitment
We recognize the value of this area’s natural resources and concerns regarding climate change and take a balanced approach to these issues by encouraging informed decision making. Because a wholesome environment is essential to a satisfying quality of life, we place respect for the environment at the forefront of our operations. We want our communities and their surroundings to have clean air, land, and water resources. We want them to support wildlife, wildflowers, fish, and local parks. Those are some of the reasons our Environmental Services Department ensures we comply with all environmental laws.
In addition to complying with existing environmental regulatory requirements, we go a step beyond.
- We relocated ash sites near Hoot Lake Plant and restored the areas as flood plains along the Otter Tail River. As part of these restoration projects, we worked with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to provide suitable spawning and nesting habitat. The Fergus Falls Fish and Game Club provided new wood duck nesting boxes, which we installed along the river to improve the wood duck population.
- We have installed several avian protection measures on our transmission and distribution lines to direct flight and protect against avian interactions.
- Our two largest power plants utilize closed cycle cooling which is considered the best technology available to minimize aquatic impacts from water intake structures.
We recognize concerns regarding climate change. Through various programs—including renewable energy development, conservation and demand-side management programs, power plant efficiency improvements, and participation in industry research—our commitment to the environment continues.
- Learn about your electricity, including fuel sources, air emissions, and choices you can make to save money and help the environment.
- Read about our principles for public policy and the actions we've taken to reduce criteria pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions.
And if you have questions regarding our environmental policies contact us.
Our commitment to renewable energy
We evaluate electric generation resources and identify the most cost-effective resource combination for affordability, reliability, achievability, and environmental responsibility. Renewable energy is included in that resource combination. Learn about: