Our 2017-2031 Resource Plan identifies the most cost-effective combination of resources for meeting our customers’ needs for reliable service during the next 15 years. We selected our proposed plan based on reliability, affordability, achievability, and environmental responsibility.
Highlights from our resource plan include:
Adding 200 megawatts (MW) of wind resources (100 MW in 2018 and 100 MW in2020) and authorization to add up to 100 MW more at a later time.
Adding 30 MW of solar resources by 2020 to comply with Minnesota’s Solar Energy Standard.
Adding a 248-MW simple-cycle natural gas plant in 2021.
Importance of stakeholder engagement
Stakeholder engagement was an important step in our planning process because our service area stretches across three states with differing regulatory policies and philosophies. We met with regulators and organizations in all three states to gain perspective and create a resource plan that balances needs and resources.
2017-2031 Resource Plan
- Cover letter
- Resource Plan
- Appendix A: Plan Cross Reference
- Appendix B: Minnesota Electric Utility Annual Report
- Appendix C: Existing Resources
- Appendix D: Potential Resources
- Appendix E: Assessment of Federal and State Environmental Regulations
- Appendix F: Strategist Modeling Assumptions
- Appendix G: Otter Tail's REO RES Compliance Strategy
- Appendix H: Update on C-BED Projects
- Appendix I: Sensitivity Summary
- Appendix J: Navigant DSM Potential Study Final Report
- Appendix K: Distributed Renewable Generation