Need to start service at a new location? You're in the right place. Before starting service, you may want to review our new customer information.
Are you an existing customer and need to transfer your service to a new location we serve? Move your service instead.
Here's what you need to know about starting a new service
- Requests are handled Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you have an emergency, call 800-257-4044 or 218-739-8877 for immediate assistance.
- You must be 18 or older and live at the residence where you are requesting electric service.
- There is a one-time $15 connection fee. This charge helps cover the cost of setting up your new electric service account.
- If you're a new customer or previous customer with a good credit history with us, you don't have to pay a security deposit. If you need to pay a deposit, it will be based on two months of your average bill. A good credit history includes:
- Fewer than three disconnection notices.
- No service disconnections due to unpaid bills within the last 12 months.
You get an itemized electric service statement every month. If you don't pay your bill before the next monthly billing date, you may be charged a late payment fee. This fee is charged when you have an unpaid balance greater than $10.00 AND you've made late payments more than once during the last 12 consecutive months. The maximum late-payment charge is 1.5% per month (18% per year) or a minimum of $1.00, whichever is greater.
- To end your electric service, submit an online stop-service request or call 800-257-4044 or 218-739-8877. Your final bill will be sent to the address you provide.
- While we're required to supply service to new customers, we do need to make sure we receive timely payment. That's why we offer many payment options that can work for your needs. And if you're ever unable to pay your bill, please contact Customer Service. We'll work with you to create a payment plan that fits your budget.
I have read and understand this information.