Charge your electric vehicle for less
You’re already saving on gas—why not save on energy, too? Our Drive On Electric Vehicle Rate lets you charge your electric vehicle for less than half our standard rate. Plus, there's also a rebate available when you install a Level 2 charging station!
What is an electric vehicle?
An electric vehicle, or EV, uses electricity as its primary source of fuel or to improve the efficiency of conventional vehicle designs. There are two types of electric vehicles:
- A battery electric vehicle uses electricity as its only power source. Generally, this type of vehicle has a range of between 80 and 330 miles per charge.
- A plug-in hybrid electric vehicle uses both conventional fuel and electricity to power the vehicle. You can drive this type of vehicle about 40 miles on a charged battery. After those 40 miles, gasoline can power the motor until you're able to recharge the electric battery.
What charging options are available?
If you're considering purchasing an electric vehicle, consult with a dealer for details about charging needs for that specific vehicle.
The charging options below are commonly used for home charging devices.
- Level 1 charging requires plugging the 120V cord set that comes with most new plug-in vehicles directly into any electric outlet. With Level 1 charging you can add approximately 5 miles of range per hour of charge, or roughly 60 miles of recharge in a 12-hour period.
- Level 2 charging requires a dedicated 240V circuit and Level 2 electric vehicle charging equipment. With Level 2 charging you can add 12 to 25 miles of range per hour of charge depending on the car, so less time is needed to fully charge your vehicle. This charging option works with our discounted off-peak rates, including the Drive On Electric Vehicle Rate in Minnesota. Some Level 2 charging stations are hardwired to the circuit and others may have a 240V cord and plug that may be used with a 240V outlet wired to your off-peak service.
Learn more about electric vehicle technology and advances at energy.gov.
Apply for your rebate
If you're a customer with a qualified off-peak service, you may qualify for a rebate of $400 when you install a Level 2 charging station. To learn more contact our Idea Center.
Drive On Electric Vehicle Rate available to Minnesota customers
The Drive On Electric Vehicle Charging Rate provides another way to save on your charging costs.
What you’ll need to participate
- A Level 2 charging station. This requires a dedicated 240V circuit and Level 2 electric vehicle supply equipment. You may expect to pay around $1,000 for wiring the required equipment. Your costs will vary depending on the structure of your home and service location.
- A disconnect and relay. The disconnect and relay must be able to tie into the supplied energy load. The required relay will receive its input from the relay provided by Otter Tail Power Company that operates based on the rate's energy delivery schedule, which limits energy supply to the hours of 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Proof of vehicle registration. Your electric vehicle must be registered in the State of Minnesota.
Customer and facilities charges apply. Service under this rate only is available between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
June through September rate: 2.703¢/kWh
October through May rate: 3.280¢/kWh
Rates quoted are for Off-Peak Electric Vehicle Service with Self-Contained Metering. Other options are available. Learn more about our Electric Vehicle Charging Rate.
Sign up now!
- Register your electric vehicle with the State of Minnesota.
- Have a licensed electrician install all necessary equipment.
- Call us at 800-257-4044 and ask to be put on the Drive On Electric Vehicle Rate.
- Apply for the rebate by submitting a Customer Rebate Application.