Underfloor Heat Storage
Enjoy the comfort of in-floor heat and use the heat-storing properties of the earth!
Underfloor heat storage systems are installed before the cement slab is poured during construction. The system is buried in a bed of sand to create a heat reservoir beneath your home, business, garage, or other building. Radiant heat is distributed evenly from every square foot of the floor, keeping air temperature constant and comfortable even on the coldest winter days.
Properly designed systems can store adequate heat reserves to meet space-heating requirements for many hours. That makes this a great technology to take advantage of one of our low off-peak rates because spaces stay comfortable during peak energy-control periods.
- Electric cables. In fully electric systems, electric cables or panels are buried 8 to 12 inches deep in a bed of sand.
- Hydronic heat storage. In-floor hydronic systems consist of an electric boiler or hydronic central-storage furnace that heats liquid that gets circulated through tubes embedded in sand to create a heat reservoir.
Sizing is important
Regardless of the technology you choose, we encourage you to work with a qualified contractor that will properly size your system to create adequate stores to warm the space and maintain comfort during the maximum control period allowed by the rate on which it's served.
- Warmth at your feet. You’ll enjoy comfort as heat is distributed evenly across the floor reaching people and objects with no drafts, dust, or uncomfortable dry air.
- Cleanliness. No dust is circulated, so these systems are clean and quiet.
- Effectiveness. Heat an entire building or use it to supplement another heat source.
- Convenience. Place your furniture wherever you choose with no vents to get in the way.
- Efficiency. When you combine the system's 100% energy efficiency with our low off-peak rates, heating is economical and efficient.
Rebates are available
Systems installed on the Fixed Time of Delivery, Residential Demand Control, or Deferred Load Rates may qualify for a rebate of $50-per-kilowatt (kW) for up to 500 kW of heating capacity installed.
A minimum of 9 kW must be installed. To qualify for a rebate, your system must have adequate storage capacity to heat the space during the maximum control period allowed by the rate. Rebates totaling $10,000 or more require prior approval.
Contact our Idea Center or call 800-493-3299 to find out if underfloor heat storage is right for you.
You also can consult these technology providers:
This is not an endorsement of the site’s products or manufacturer.