Air-Conditioning Control (CoolSavings)
Cycle your air conditioning, save $33 on your cooling costs
Allow us to cycle your home air conditioning during occasional periods of high energy demand, and save $8.25 a month on your bill from June through September with our CoolSavings program.
How it works
We’ll install a radio receiver on your central air-conditioning unit at no additional charge. Then, during occasional periods of high demand on the electric system, we’ll cycle your air conditioner on and off every 15 minutes, keeping you cool and comfortable.
In return, you’ll get an $8.25 credit on your electric bill each month from June through September. You’ll also assist us in managing the electrical system during peak times to help keep energy prices low.
Program eligibility and details
The CoolSavings program is available to customers with a central air conditioner or heat pump that is served through their Residential Service, Residential Demand Control, or Farm Service meters.
The program is voluntary and free. However, you’ll need to participate for at least one year. To qualify:
- You must have a central air-cooling system. Window units and ductless mini-split systems are not eligible.
- Your unit must be on a general service or residential demand control rate.
- You must have a disconnect located on the outside of your home. (See photo at right.)
Air-source and geothermal heat pumps may be included in the program if they’re not already on one of our controlled-service rates.
Rate codes and terms
- Air conditioning control (CoolSavings): 760
- We’ll control your air conditioning for no more than 300 hours, and generally much less, during the cooling season.
- Get more details about the CoolSavings program terms.
Enroll in CoolSavings
Fill out the application form and mail it to:
Otter Tail Power Company
P.O. Box 496
Fergus Falls, MN 56538
After your form is received and your eligibility is verified, a technician will come to your home to install the radio receiver.