Air-Conditioning Control (CoolSavings)
Cycle your air conditioning, save $33 on your cooling costs
Allow us to cycle your home air conditioning during occasional periods of high energy demand, and save $8.25 a month on your bill from June through September with our CoolSavings program.
How it works
We’ll install a radio receiver on your central air-conditioning unit at no additional charge. Then, during occasional periods of high demand on the electric system, we’ll cycle your air conditioner on and off every 15 minutes, keeping you cool and comfortable.
In return for helping us manage the electrical system during peak periods, which helps to keep energy prices low, you’ll get an average credit of $8.25 on your electric bill each month from June through September.
Program eligibility and details
The CoolSavings program is voluntary and free. However, you’ll need to participate for at least one year. To qualify:
- You must have a central cooling system. Window units and ductless mini-split systems aren't eligible.
- Your cooling unit must be on a General Service or Residential Demand Control Rate.
- You must have a disconnect located on the outside of your home. (See photo at right.)
Air-source and geothermal heat pumps may be included in the program if they’re not already served on another controlled-service rate, such as Dual Fuel or Deferred Load.
Rate codes and terms
- Air-conditioning control (CoolSavings): 760
- We’ll control your air conditioning for no more than 300 hours, and generally much less, during the cooling season.
- Get more details about the CoolSavings rate code and terms.
Enroll in CoolSavings
Fill out the application form and mail it to:
Otter Tail Power Company
P.O. Box 496
Fergus Falls, MN 56538
After your form is received and your eligibility is verified, a technician will come to your home to install the radio receiver.