Air-Conditioning Control (CoolSavings)
Cycle your air conditioning, save money
Allow us to cycle your home air conditioning during occasional periods of high energy demand and save with a bill credit each month from June through September with our CoolSavings program.
How it works
We’ll install a radio receiver on your central air-conditioning unit at no additional charge. Then, when demand on the electrical system is high during the summer, we’ll cycle your air conditioner on and off every 15 minutes, keeping you cool and comfortable.
In return, you’ll get a credit on your electric bill each month from June through September. You’ll also assist us in managing the electrical system during peak times to help keep energy prices low.
Program eligibility and details
The CoolSavings program is available to customers with a central air conditioner or heat pump that's served through their Residential Service, Residential Demand Control, or Farm Service meters.
The program is voluntary and free. However, you’ll need to participate for at least one year. To qualify:
- You must have a central air-cooling system. Window units and ductless mini-split systems aren't eligible.
- Your unit must be on a general service or residential demand control rate.
- You must have a disconnect located on the outside of your home. (See photo at right.)
Air-source and geothermal heat pumps served through our discounted off-peak Dual Fuel or Deferred Load Rates are not eligible to enroll in CoolSavings.
Rate codes and bill credit
Receive an average bill credit of $8.25 per month, or $33 for the summer season, June through September.
- Air-conditioning control (CoolSavings): 760
- We’ll control your air conditioning for no more than 300 hours, and generally much less, during the cooling season.
- Get more details about the CoolSavings rate.
Enroll in CoolSavings
Property owners should review the terms and conditions, fill out the application form, and mail it to:
Otter Tail Power Company
P.O. Box 496
Fergus Falls, MN 56538
After your form is received and your eligibility is verified, a technician will come to your home to install the radio receiver.