Simple repairs could mean significant savings
If you can stack two quarters between your doors and doorframes, it's like having a hole to the outside in your living room wall. Similar gaps throughout your home all can add up to the equivalent of leaving a window open year-round. A well-insulated home doesn't just keep you warmer in the winter. It helps keep you cooler in the summer too.
You may qualify for a rebate of 20% of your project cost (up to $1,400) if you heat with electricity and employ a contractor to upgrade your insulation.
The benefits of insulation
The benefits of a well-insulated home are numerous! Proper insulation:
- Reduces heat loss.
- Is a cost-effective way to lower your energy bills.
- Ensures home safety—in addition to installing insulation, contractors check your energy systems to make sure they’re working properly.
- Improves home durability by keeping outside elements out and reducing moisture.
Program eligibility and details
Weatherizing your home with new insulation and air sealing not only makes it more comfortable but also more efficient, which can cut your energy costs. And with our rebate program, you can save money right away.
- You must be a Minnesota customer.
- Your home’s primary heat must be electric.
- You cannot have received a previous insulation rebate for your home this year.
- Your home must not be new construction.
- A contractor must perform the installation.
We'll rebate up to 20% of your installation costs, with a maximum rebate of $1,400.
- This includes a $500 maximum rebate for wall, a $500 maximum rebate for attic insulation, and a $400 maximum rebate for air sealing.
- The rebate applies to attic bypass sealing and insulation, wall insulation, and air-sealing and weather-stripping only.
- Insulation must meet certain R-factor levels to qualify.
- Homes with existing attic insulation levels less than or equal to R-20 must install enough insulation to reach a total level of R-44 or greater.
- Wall insulation must have an existing R-8 or less wall cavity and an ending value of at least R-13.
Apply for your rebate
Fill out the rebate form. When completed, mail it to:
Otter Tail Power Company
P.O. Box 496
Fergus Falls, MN 56538
Please allow 6–8 weeks for your rebate check to arrive.