Install thermal storage off peak, get rebates
Whether you’re building or remodeling, thermal-storage systems offer an efficient option for heating and cooling your home. And when you install them on an off-peak program, you’ll enjoy even more savings with our rebate program and discounted rates that lower operating costs.
The benefits of thermal storage
Thermal-storage systems run quietly and cleanly, without combustion by-products associated with burning fossil fuel. They're an economical way to heat your home.
Thermal-storage heating systems generate and store heat in sand or specially designed bricks during off-peak hours and then use it to heat your home, including during peak periods when electric service may be controlled. They can heat your entire home, a single floor, or an addition. Options include:
- Conventional underfloor heat storage
- In-floor hydronic heat storage
- Central thermal-storage furnaces
- Thermal-storage room units
Although most commonly used in commercial cooling systems, thermal-storage cooling technology is also available. Residential systems have been introduced but are not commonly in use in our region. Thermal-storage cooling technology generates ice or cooled water during off-peak hours and then use it to cool during peak periods.
Program eligibility and details
We’ll rebate $40 per kilowatt of thermal-storage heating or cooling installed. Typical home systems are between 26 and 38 kilowatts in size. With our rebate you could save hundreds of dollars on your new system!
Additional rebate qualifications
- All rebates require a minimum installation size of 9 kilowatts.
- Systems must have adequate storage capacity to heat or cool the space during the maximum control period allowed by the rate on which it is installed.
- In combined thermal-storage/air-source heat pump systems, this rebate applies only to thermal-storage heating load. Qualified heat pump systems are rebated separately.
If you have any questions about program eligibility, contact our Idea Center or call 800-493-3299 during business hours.
Apply for your rebate
Contact your Service Representative when you are ready to install your thermal-storage system to ensure it’s properly set up on an off-peak rate and available for energy control.
After installation is complete, fill out the rebate form. When completed, give it to your Service Representative or mail it, along with all required documentation, to:
Otter Tail Power Company
P.O. Box 496
Fergus Falls, MN 56538
Please allow 6–8 weeks for your rebate check to arrive.