Install thermal storage off-peak, get rebates
Whether you’re building or remodeling, thermal-storage systems offer an efficient option for heating your home. And when you install one on an off-peak program, you’ll enjoy even more savings with our rebate program and discounted rates that lower operating costs.
Thermal-storage systems run quietly and cleanly without combustion by-products associated with burning fossil fuel. They operate by generating and storing heat in sand or specially designed bricks during off-peak hours then use it to provide heat as needed, including during peak periods when electric service may be controlled. They can heat an entire home, a single floor, or an addition. Options include:
- Conventional underfloor heat storage
- In-floor hydronic heat storage
- Central thermal-storage furnaces
- Thermal-storage room units
Although most commonly used in commercial cooling systems, thermal-storage cooling technology also is available. Residential systems have been introduced but aren't commonly used in our region. Thermal-storage cooling technology generates ice or cooled water during off-peak hours using it to cool during peak periods.
Rebate eligibility and details
We’ll rebate $40 per kilowatt of thermal-storage heating or cooling installed. Typical home systems are between 26 and 38 kilowatts in size. With our rebate you could save hundreds of dollars on your new system!
- Thermal-storage heating and cooling technologies must be installed on a qualified off-peak rate, including our Deferred Load, Residential Demand Control, or Fixed Time of Delivery Rates.
- All rebates require a minimum installation size of 9 kilowatts.
- Systems must have adequate storage capacity to heat or cool the space during the maximum control period allowed by the rate on which it's installed.
- In combined thermal-storage/air-source heat pump systems, this rebate applies only to thermal-storage heating load. Qualified heat pump systems are rebated separately.
Apply for your rebate
Contact your Service Representative when you're ready to install your thermal-storage system to ensure it’s properly set up on an off-peak rate and available for energy control.
After installation is complete, fill out the rebate form and give it to your Service Representative or mail it, along with all required documentation, to:
Otter Tail Power Company
P.O. Box 496
Fergus Falls, MN 56538
Please allow 6–8 weeks for your rebate check to arrive.