Preparing for extreme summer temperatures
Maintaining reliability of the energy grid
Summer is here and forecasted higher-than-average temperatures may lead to increased energy demand.
Otter Tail Power has enough resources to serve our customers, though expected summer weather challenges could mean we’ll need to take additional steps to help maintain reliability of the energy grid.
If summer temperatures continue to rise, we’ll likely need to work together to help ensure grid stability. We may ask you to conserve energy more frequently. In extreme instances, if MISO calls upon us to conduct controlled service interruptions, we expect they’ll last about an hour or so at a time. If needed, these short-term interruptions help us eliminate or reduce the likelihood of longer, larger-scale impacts.
How you can partner with us and your neighbors
Here are a few things you can do to help:
- Use only necessary lights and turn them off when you leave a room.
- Turn off and unplug electronics not in use.
- Use fewer electrical appliances.
- Turn your air-conditioning thermostat up a few degrees.
- Keep window coverings closed during the day.
- Delay unnecessary laundry and dishwashing, and only run full loads.
- Consider serving cold sandwiches or a salad for your evening meal.
- Postpone taking a shower until later in the evening.
Reduce energy use and save
Interested in additional tips to reduce energy use and save money this summer? We've put together several ideas to help you save in your home or business.