About Otter Tail Power Company
Getting to know us
We're an investor-owned electric utility that provides electricity for residential, commercial, and industrial customers in Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
Our company is named after the Otter Tail River, which provided our first source of electricity when we became an operating utility in 1909. Hundreds of years ago the Ojibwe noted that a large sandspit follows the contour of the shoreline of a lake where the river flows into it. Because they thought this sandspit resembled the tail of an otter, the Native Americans named the lake Nigagwanoe, Otter Tail. By doing so, they also named a river, a village, a township, a county, and a power company.
- View our Stewardship Report
- View our EEI ESG Sustainability Report - Qualitative
- View our EEI ESG Sustainability Report - Quantitative
- View our company history timeline
We're a subsidiary of Otter Tail Corporation, which trades under the symbol OTTR on The NASDAQ Global Select Market, and headquartered in Fergus Falls, Minnesota.
We serve 132,500 customers in 422 communities.
- Minnesota: 62,000
- North Dakota: 58,800
- South Dakota: 11,700
- We employee approximately 800 employees
- Learn about the people of Otter Tail Power Company
About 798 MW (owned)
About 5,800 miles