What to do During an Outage
While we're working to restore your service, here's what you can do:
- Turn off all the appliances you think were on before your power went out.
- Unplug your electronic equipment, including computers.
- Leave a light or radio on to let you know when you have service again.
- Do not wire an emergency generator into your home electrical system. Backfeed into power lines could injure or kill a lineman working to get electricity restored.
- Use your generator only to run specific appliances.
- Locate your generator outside to keep poisonous carbon monoxide fumes out of your home.
- Use a cell phone or plug a telephone that has a cord into a phone jack so you have phone service. (Cordless phones do not work during a power outage.)
- Be sure you understand service disconnection and restoration as they relate to natural disasters or identified hazards.
If a significant outage hits your area, follow us on Twitter for service restoration updates.