Take control of your heating and cooling with a smart thermostat
Bring your old thermostat into the digital age with a smart thermostat and begin seeing savings on your heating and cooling!
A smart thermostat isn’t just a digital toy—it's a sophisticated and worry-free system that helps program heating and cooling around your life. Smart thermostats:
- Allow you to control your heating and cooling from anywhere—from a computer at home to a mobile device thousands of miles away.
- Reduce your energy costs by learning your household schedule and making automatic adjustments.
- Provide comfort and peace of mind with advanced learning features, such as geofencing, coaching, and automatic notifications.
Eligibility and details
Rebates are available to residential customers and apply to Tier II and Tier III smart thermostats.
- A customer with electric heating as their primary source may qualify for a rebate of $100 for a Tier II or $150 for a Tier III smart thermostat.
- A customer with non-central electric heating as their primary source, including baseboard heating, may qualify for a rebate of $100 for a Tier III line voltage smart thermostat.
- A customer with electric cooling only may qualify for a rebate of $35 for a Tier II or $50 for a Tier III smart thermostat.
Tier II smart thermostats
Tier II smart thermostats are communicating thermostats that give access to set points and schedules from anywhere using a smart device. These include:
- Bryant: Wi-Fi thermostats (Housewise and COR)
- Carrier: COR Wi-Fi (Example: Carrier COR 7C thermostat)
- Ecobee: Ecobee3 Lite
- Honeywell: Wi-Fi thermostats (Example: Honeywell Wi-Fi 9000 Color thermostat)
- Lennox: iComfort Wi-Fi thermostats (Example: Lennox iComfort Wi-Fi touchscreen thermostat)
- Others with approval
Tier III smart thermostats
Tier III smart thermostats are analytics capable, offering all the features of Tier II with the addition of energy-saving features such as geofencing, coaching, diagnostics, and comparative information. These include:
- Bryant: Evolution Connex Control
- Carrier: Infinity (Example: Carrier Infinity system control)
- Ecobee: Ecobee3 Lite thermostat with sensor, Ecobee3 or Ecobee4 with voice control and eco+ feature
- Google: Nest learning thermostats, Nest thermostat E
- Honeywell: Smart (Example: Honeywell T5+, T9 Smart, Wi-Fi Smart Color)
- Lennox: iComfort smart thermostats (Example: iComfort S30 ultra)
- Others with approval
Tier III line voltage smart thermostats
- Mysa: Smart thermostat for electric baseboard heaters (excludes LITE version)
We reserve the right to limit any rebate. Rebates won't exceed thermostat costs and don't include installation costs. If several line voltage smart thermostats are purchased, total thermostat cost or rebate amount (whichever is lower), will limit the rebate. One rebate per household.
Apply for your rebate
If you have any questions about rebate eligibility, contact our Idea Center or call 800-493-3299 during business hours.
To apply for a rebate, you may apply online or fill out the form below and attach all required documentation, then email or send it to:
Otter Tail Power Company
P.O. Box 496
Fergus Falls, MN 56538
2024 smart thermostat rebate form
2023 smart thermostat rebate form
Please allow 6-8 weeks for your rebate check to arrive.