Scam warning signs
Most utility scams involve criminals posing as company employees—either in person, over the phone, or online—and demanding immediate payment while falsely threatening to disconnect your electric service. Scammers target both our residential and business customers.
Tips to stay protected
- Don't call back the number the scammer provided. Scammers can spoof our phone number, making it appear as though the call is coming from Otter Tail Power Company. Instead, contact us directly at 800-257-4044.
- Never click on any links or reply to a suspicious email.
- Never share Social Security Numbers or financial/banking information by email.
- Contact your financial institution right away if you shared personal banking or credit card information.
- Never share personal information by phone if you didn't initiate the call. Our company representatives always have your account number.
- Our representatives carry proper identification. Ask for it if you doubt whether someone who comes to your door is legitimate.
- Report illegal activity to your local law enforcement agency and to the Federal Trade Commission at 877-FTC-HELP.
Learn more about payment options or what to do if you need help paying your electric bill.
When in doubt, hang up!